Dude where’s my cart?

The other day I was walking into Target just as some guy was walking out and I turned to look as he set off the “I’m stealing your stuff” alarm. I thought it was funny that I turned to look because no one else did. The Target employees and the guy himself just kept doing what they were doing…nothing. I think we might have developed the wrong approach to these alarms. They are now like car alarms. What’s the first thing you think of when you hear a car alarm go off? “Oh my god someone is getting their car stolen!!”? No. More likely you think, “Ugh…can’t someone shut off that damn thing?” I think the best way to steal a car would be to go ahead and set off the alarm, point your hand at the car and press on an imaginary button about 50 times and then just go ahead and steal the damn thing. No one is even going to think twice about it. I also think that Target and other stores either need to remove those alarms from their doors or respond to them. What if when the alarm went off at Target an entire group of Ninja looking characters swooped in and tackled the offending person? The rule should be, if you set off the alarm you have to quickly lie down on the floor and not move. It sure would make it more interesting when that stupid alarm went off. At least it would make it more entertaining for me.

2 comments:

  1. then there are some Targets that the alarm doesn't go off. Can you say "crib"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you mentioned this... Ironically, Kate and I were at Target this weekend after she had just bought a coat at TJ Max. As we were walking in, the alarm sounded. I asked her if she had the receipt so that we could quickly produce it in the event we were confronted. We even went as far as to notify the cashier that it may go off again on our way out, which it did, but no one batted an eyelash and we strutted out with impunity. I should have stole some stuff.

    ReplyDelete