Let's get rolling.

Here goes with some new information....hopefully enough people get this to find it useful. PLEASE use the comments and my e-mail to let me know what I'm missing and I'll do better.

Dad had a PIC line inserted today for purposes of starting chemo. Pretty sure that is starting next week. Some useful blog huh? The type of chemo he will be undergoing is referred to by its acronym of drug names, ABVD, and as far as chemo goes, it isn't considered super harsh. The link from the acronym best tells about the side effects, but for some reason dad is worried most about losing his hair. I guess he's worried that he might end up looking like Paul. Sorry Paul, it had to be said.

A lot of people have been asking about the stage classification of his condition, but so far the doctor hasn't committed to providing it. This is kind of a pain in the ass, but I guess it really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things since, as my dad likes to say, "It is what it is." If you look at the staging criteria of Hodgkins disease you can probably get close by just knowing that the lymph nodes in the chest seem to be the affected ones and that there is some suspicion of shady areas of bone....but don't quote me on that. Either way the disease is still very treatable and it beats the hell out of our Castlemans debacle.

That should cover it until I hear from others about what they need to hear and know. Thanks for stopping in.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment