DKDC

So I’ve decided that Sam is afflicted with a bad case of DKDC. This is the ‘ought 10’ equivalent of ADHD. I’ve also decided that there are probably more kids diagnosed with ADHD that actually have DKDC. Since I just made this up I should probably let you in on what it means. It stands for “Don’t know, don’t care”. See it isn’t that the kids are distracted and unable to concentrate, it’s that they could give a shit. Whenever I try to get Sam moving from one place to another he dawdles and does a thousand things in between. Pet the dog, pick up a toy, talk about something completely off topic. His attention level hasn’t been reduced it’s just that he doesn’t know why I want him to hurry and even if he knew, he wouldn’t care. His set of priorities are different. I have to get from point A to point B in X amount of time. Since he is already at point A, doesn’t care about point B and doesn’t tell time yet, he thinks he’s pretty much all set. There is no amount of drugs I could give him that would make him care. I could probably give him something that would make him care even less and then I could just drag him around…but that just makes the game different. I’m giving him until age 6 to grow out of DKDC, but since I also see so many adults afflicted with it, the odds are not in my favor. Whatever….

2 comments:

  1. No offense, but I don't think it is an age thing, so much as a gender thing. Therefore, there is no point in puting a time limit on it. Adam is 8 and the DKDC affliction is still a big part of all of our lives thanks to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Sigmund LocanderJanuary 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM

    Interesting diagnosis and thought provoking discourse on this subject. I have two female subjects ages 6 and 4 that have very similar symptoms so it must not be associated with gender specific attributes. More appropriately I think the disorder stems from sort of family curse that is passed on from generation to generation. As a young child I was often scolded by my parents with comments like ... "just wait until you have kids of your own. They will do the same thing to you." I am checking google and
    the archives at the library for any known remedies for this affliction and the generational curse associated with DKDC. Please beware that there are those amongst us that never are cured from this affliction as they enter adulthood.

    ReplyDelete