Mad Men

I have to have a talk with the Mennonites. As I sat in the airport yesterday I observed a large party of Mennonites hanging around also, seemingly, waiting for a flight. I get it that the Mennonites aren’t Amish and don’t shun modern conveniences, but here’s my confusion. As I watched this group of people dressed like a bad episode of Mayberry RFD, I also noticed that they all had cell phones, the kids were listening to iPods and the adults had gathered around sipping some Starbucks. What’s the point in dressing like it’s still 1890 if that’s your only concession? I also noticed that the women were not wearing any makeup, but if you have to wear a potato sack what’s the point? I respect different beliefs and ways of life, but it’s all or nothing people.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how long it takes a mennonite to upgrade his blog between posts.
    Nice to see you back and observing humanity in all its rare forms ...

    tell Goober that Gomer says "hey"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, was catching up on your blog the other day and I can't let this one go by without saying that you've cut the Mennonites some slack here. Actually a whole lotta slack (full disclosure - though I'm still a semiagnostic Presbyterian preacher's kid married to a Catholic, we're working for a Mennonite organization here in China, so I now know whereof I speak)

    Point 1: The Mennonites range from the Almost Amish all the way to the Hidden Urbanite. Yes, there might be Mennonites living next to you.

    Point 2: In general, they've got some pretty cool beliefs, including a believe in living simply and strong commitment to non-violence. Judging from what I've read on your blog and FB, you probably have more in common with Mennonites that with certain other (can I say Koran-burning..?) Christians in your fair state.

    Point 3: Of course, I am Deeply Offended by your Post, and will not read your blog again until you make a public retraction of your statements. And post a photograph of you taking a Mennonite out to dinner. (The Mennonites I know are partial to Pappa John's pizza, by the way, but that may be because they've all been in China a while)

    Point 4: Just kidding about point 3. Except for the Pappa John's part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry guys...fittingly your comment e-mails went into my spam folder. Mike - this means my blog is on to you. Dave - I'm not sure what it means. Divine intervention on behalf of the mennonites?

    ReplyDelete