Caveman Norsk

After two weeks in Norway I have mastered the language. No really. My breakthrough moment came when I successfully ordered a hot dog at the Norwegian equivalent of the 7-11. Ok....so I haven't really mastered any language and have concluded that I am probably one of those people who will never master another language. Jen and Sara seem blessed with the language gene and are probably frustrated that I seem to bungle even the easiest of words. I have practised and managed to memorize the Norwegian phrase "I don't understand". This seems to set all Norwegians at ease when they realize that they won't have to actually speak with me. I have also managed to shyly squeak out the phrase "Do you speak English?", but it is usually met with a kind of cringe face. After talking with my neighbor here I think it is because Norwegians are also intimidated by speaking English and cringe when they have to recall their school age lessons in English. They do a good job though. I'll have to let them know.  : )

Jen is quite proud of her increasing language skills, but already speaks 50 languages, so good for her.  : )   Sara will tell you she completely understands everything, but after watching Sponge Bob square pants in Norwegian I noticed she didn't think he was as funny in Norwegian as he is in English. It is too early to tell if Sam is a linguist, but he has a better shot at it than I did I think. Tommorrow I am going to get my haircut, so another adventure in charades is probably coming. It's a good thing my hair "style" is probably as simple as it is. 

On a sadder note I have saved my last paragraph to tell you that my fathers friend Kirby has passed away. I know my father is very saddened by this, and this makes me feel ever worse. I have known Kirby for a long time also and am sorry to see him go. I recently had breakfast with Kirby, Mike, and my dad and I am happy I got to harass him one last time about his Cubs and probably a few other things. I will probably not be as upset this year if the Cubs take a series from the Cardinals because I know it would have made Kirby happy. RIP our friend.

Thanks for checking in everyone. Be back soon with some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment