Built for two? That’s nothing…

So I’m sure you have heard that the Dutch are known for their use of bicycles. I had heard this too, but I really had no idea the extent of it. In the short time we have been here we have realized that this bike thing is way more ingrained that we had ever imagined. I walked outside this morning for a breath of fresh air and I was met with a string of 20 kids on bikes headed to school. The killer part of it is that the infrastructure is built to support the riders. All major roads have bike paths or bike lanes. There are places to park the bikes everywhere and best of all, if everyone is riding a bike you aren’t the odd man out. People here look at you strange if you aren’t riding a bike. I have taken to carrying bike rider items so they know I’m cool. The bike tire slung over the shoulder, a bike chain belt with a helmet hanging off….you get the picture. Here is a quick photo to back up my story. More later…we are off to get Sara a bike so she is as cool as we are.

bikes

No comments:

Post a Comment