A little history...

I'll probably get some of this wrong, so don't quote me for historical purposes, but 
I wanted to get everyone up to speed that might not know why this is here. My dad would probably argue that you are here simply because of the inspiring title of the blog. Sorry dad......while they may love you, they are here to check up on you, find out what Dr. is giving you the business today, or to get incriminating information to use later.

About 6 months ago my dad started to lose a little weight, lose a little energy, and generally, complain very little about it. Those of you who know him know that this is his style. After we all spent 3 months discussing his weight loss, a persistent cough, and the new lower energy Larry, my Mom convinced him and probably a few doctors that something more needed to be done. Without going into a thousand details or telling you things about a PET scan that I would just be stealing from the web, we found that there were some lymph nodes that needed a biopsy.

Following the theory that "If you know you might be sick, then you might as well act sick", my dad, in quick succession, had his hemoglobin go a little crazy, was transfused with a LOT of blood, had a mild stroke, and spent some quality time with the nurses of 7 south at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island. Oh yeah...they managed to sneak in the biopsy while he was pretty much too sick to care what they were doing.

Now....apparently when you have a biopsy, they take the tissue, stick it under a microscope, type up a report and send it back to your doctor. This is all theoretical. I can't speak to what really happens, but while the above would seem something that could happen in a day or so....it really takes a couple of weeks and a lot of stress.  Eventually we received word that my dad had some mysterious and rare disease called Castlemans disease. I guess this is a good place to stop a post called "A little history" because that diagnosis is soon to be the same....history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment