Some catching up to do

There are probably going to be more times in my life that I wish I hadn’t waited 25 years to do something. Yesterday was one of those times. My mom has been telling me for 6 months that I HAVE to call our former foreign exchange student Eirik when I’m in Europe. Sure it makes sense, but for whatever reason actually doing something that simple had eluded me. It did take until the last week of our travels to finally get the logistics worked out, but we did it. Wilma can scratch it off the list.

Eirik and his family travelled from Oslo to visit Gothenberg, the famed home of the Liseberg amusement park, and summer vacation home of the Carroll family. WE met at the park to give the kids a distraction while we talked of Orion, families, home exchange and about 8 hours of other stuff. Eirik is exactly how I remember him, funny, good to talk to, nice guy, and he now has the added bonus of a wonderful family. Here they are at the park yesterday.

DSCN3416

Here is where I come up short on the needed details. Eirik works for a large newspaper in Norway doing what we decided is chief editor type work for their on-line edition. Who goes where?, who writes what?, Where things go in the paper? Pretty impressive stuff. I know everyone’s name, but I’m going to wait until I see it written down before I screw it up on the blog. I will say that Sara was very happy to try her Norwegian skills again with Phillipa, Eirik’s 6 year old daughter.

I could go on for another few pages about our visit yesterday, but we are having them over again today before they return to Oslo and I’ll save it for later. I will close by saying that we both decided that 25 years was a silly time frame to not re-connect and that we will do better now. Here are a few more pictures. I realized after adding them that I have some good shots, but they are kind of haphazard pairings. I’ll do better today.

 DSCN3422 DSCN3414

DSCN3421

No comments:

Post a Comment