Gizmos, gadgets, and whizbangs

I have had to make a number of adjustments on this trip to accomodate things that I either didn't think about or things that just don't work the same way. I thought I'd share some of them with you. Sorry this is kinda for the geeks that might be reading, but most of it is gadgety.

Rebtel - I'm using this service to provide me a local phone number in any country I set up. Once I do this I can call the local phone number for free and it will forward my call to other numbers I set up on their internet site. The cost for international calls is less than 2 cents per minute this way.

Kindle for iTouch - Granted you have to have an iPhone or iTouch from Apple to take advantage of this tool, but the idea is cool (to me). I have downloaded about 5-6 books from Amazon and have started reading them on my iTouch. Beats the heck out of loading up my pack with books for a trip. Too heavy.

Facebook - I keep in touch with a lot of friends and some family on Facebook. Makes me feel like I'm not stranded on an island somewhere if I can read about what everyone is doing back home. I have found old friends from college and high school and I am up to speed with whatever they have decided to share with everyone.

Logitech Web cam - We were worried about not being in touch with various people while we were travelling and bought the camera linked here. It has been so cool to see and talk to my mom and dad, as well as Jen's family. Sam loves making faces at his little cousin Allie. I would say that this purchase has provided the best link to home. We use it with Skype to make and receive video calls for free.

Well that should about cover that for now. If anyone has any questions about any of the above, shoot me an e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment