Thanks

Thank you everyone for sending my father best wishes on is first day AC. My mom printed the post from yesterday and I have no doubt that it lifted his spirits even more to know that everyone was rooting for him. You guys are the best.

As most of you know by now, if you read this blog long enough eventually I get philosophical or introspective enough to write a big long diatribe about what’s going wrong in the world, or what I think is strange, or even about hamburgers at some point. Wait no longer. Today is one of those days.

Today all it took to get me thinking was returning one of the rental bikes. I got up early enough that I decided to ride one of the bikes back to the shop and walk home, therefore making it logistically easy to return the other bikes. Trust me…I have it all diagramed out in my head. This is one of the reasons I need early morning walks. On the 2’ish kilometer walk back from the shop some things occurred to me. I will now share them with you.

It requires another story to kick off this thought process listed below, so you are going to have to bear with me. I think I’m screwing up some rule of paragraphs trying to put this all together. Sorry. Last night Jen and I were talking about how funny Sam is. He’s a typical 5 year old goofball, nutty, brat at times and then he gets these “moments”. Jen was talking about how she had cleaned the bathroom here and Sam overheard her. He doesn’t like the bathroom here, not for any other reason than it is dark and downstairs. When he heard that Jen cleaned the bathroom he turned around on the stairs and said “Thank you for cleaning the bathroom mommy”. What 5 year old says that? What 5 year old sincerely means it? Later that night Jen was explaining how he came to be 5 years old and how she carried him around in her tummy for an eternity and helped him live and grow. I guess Sam was on a kick for the day because he listened to this, thought about it for a second, and said “Thank you for helping me live mommy”. I have a ton of thoughts that follow that statement about what I’ll miss, what a great time we are having, who the important people in my life are…..but you know what? It sums it up.

To my mom and my dad, to my wife and kids, to my brother and his family and the rest of my friends and family. Everyone should turn around and say the same thing to the people that mean the most to you.

“Thanks for helping me live”

Love, Jon

DSCN2476

No comments:

Post a Comment